As Boston is hit with a snow storm and Georgia’s low is 28, I figured I’d share some of my winter beauty favorites. It’s kind of crazy I guess because Georgia’s high on Saturday is supposed to be 71…but the groundhog predicted 6 more weeks of winter, so there’s no better time than now for a winter essentials list!
- O.R.G. Mineral Peel Face – During the winter, my face gets so dry that exfoliating it isn’t an option. This face peel has been a lifesaver; you just spray it on your face, let it soak in for 3-5 seconds, and then rub it off. It instantly peels off dry skin without drying out your face. No more cakey makeup!
- Origins GinZing Energy-Boosting Moisturizer – After using the face peel, I use this moisturizer every day. It’s so lightweight and feels refreshing and even smells refreshing. It’s oil-free, so it won’t make your face super oily but it will instantly moisturize and make your face look more energized and awake.
- Anderson Lilley Beach Butter Cream – Okay so this is the second item on my list of winter essentials that is from my FabFitFun box, but no, this is not another FabFitFun box review. I really do use this body butter every day. Body butter does a better job of moisturizing and hydrating than normal lotion, and it helps keep your cuticles moisturized too. Plus this one smells like tangerine and reminds me of warmer days.
- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey – This feels like a mixture of chap stick, lip gloss, and lip stick. I love the way and looks and feels on me. Black honey is the perfect shade for winter, but the best part about this is that it fuses with the natural tone of your lips to create a unique color for everyone.
- Travel mug – A cute travel mug is essential for keeping your coffee and your hands warm in the cold. Plus, it gives you something to do with your hands.
- Long sleeve running top – This long sleeve top is perfect for working out and for layering. I wore this top under two more layers when I went to my first Big 10 football game in November. It has thumb holes, fits perfectly without feeling too tight, and does a great job of keeping me warm.
- Cozy vest – This vest is also perfect for layering. It’s not a fur vest, it’s a fuzzy soft vest and it really does keep you warm. It adds a cute yet classy feel to any outfit. Wear with jeans and booties or with a long sleeve dress.
- Blanket scarf – I have three blanket scarves; they not only keep your neck warm, but they transform any plain shirt, dress or sweater instantly, and they’re perfect to use as a blanket in the movie theater or in your cold office. Wrap it around your body or your legs when you’re sitting at your desk, and then move it back up around your neck when you need to get up to refill your coffee.
We spend at least 40 hours a week at work, and if you’ve got a job like me, you’re working inside an office. I’m also in accounting, so the dooming busy season is about to come my way – much more than 50-60 hours a week in the office. In an attempt to brighten up our work day, and to find some happiness after the Falcons loss and a rough Monday, my team and I decided to get a plant for our room. I grabbed one of my bigger mason jars and painted it white and gold, and Fran the Fern was born. We know, we know, this isn’t a fern. But Fran really helps to add some happiness in our room. ❤
DIY – Mason Jar Vase
32 oz. mason jar
white spray paint
Spray paint the mason jar with two coats and let dry completely, preferably overnight to ensure the paint tape doesn’t peel off the white paint. Once dry, layer on the paint tape about 1 inch above the bottom of the jar. Paint (either using gold spray paint or gold acrylic paint with a brush) two layers of gold on the bottom of the jar below the paint tape. Let dry completely. Carefully peel off the tape and decorate the room!
Today is a day Atlanta has been waiting for for so many years. Today is Atlanta’s time to shine. I have always enjoyed Super Bowl parties – great food, Sunday fun-day with friends, amazing commercials and halftime shows… but this year is way more exciting than any other year because this year the Falcons are playing! I am so pumped — so I’m reposting one of my go to appetizers for anyone who has some last minute cooking to do. This app is seriously so easy and quick to make, plus it is extra delicious. Enjoy & RISE UP!
This is my boyfriend and my go-to app to bring to parties. It’s super easy to make and it’s loaded with flavor. We randomly came up with this recipe after trying Terrapin Ridge‘s hot pepper bacon jam. And then of course, anything involving pimento cheese is a winning recipe to me.
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SUPER EASY
CRACKERS OR BITE SIZED GRILLED BREAD
HOT PEPPER BACON JAM
COOKED BACON, BROKEN INTO TINY PIECES
Spread the bacon chili pepper jam on top of the crackers. Then layer on the pimento cheese. Finally, put a small piece of bacon on top. Enjoy! Trust me, it will be amazing.
I don’t travel as much as some people for work, but when I do travel for work, these are three of my necessary things: (1) TSA pre, (2) Hertz Gold Plus membership — so I don’t have to wait at the counter to rent a car, and (3) a cute, lightweight 360° spinner wheeled carry-on suitcase. When traveling for work, I typically don’t check in a suitcase so that I can go in and out of the airport as quickly as possible. However, being 5’2 does not make lifting a suitcase into the overhead bin a very fun experience, so making sure that my suitcase isn’t made out of heavy material is also very important. I ended up getting the London Fog carry-on off of Macys.com and I love it! It’s trendy, lightweight, and being able to either roll my suitcase next to me or behind me makes it easy to navigate in any situation.
I’m a huge online shopper, and if you are too, I definitely recommend trying Ebates. Ebates.com alerts you of online deals, but more importantly, you can earn cash back on each of your purchases when you shop through Ebates. Right now, you can earn 6% on your purchase from Macy’s! Using Ebates is super easy — you just click on the store you want to shop at, and then you’re routed straight to the store’s website. Buy whatever you want, and then you’ll earn cash back on your purchases. Ebates is also great because there are SO many stores on there: Macys, Target, Amazon, Nordstrom, Sephora, etc. Give it a try! Sign up and automatically get $10 when you click here. Let me know what you think! Do you have a suitcase that you love?
Yesterday was my official last day as a Buckhead Betty. It was a bittersweet day as I said goodbye to my first apartment after college, but looked forward to officially moving to the Highlands. That little Craigslist-find definitely had its ups and downs, but that tiny apartment saw me transform from a naive, single early-twenties post-grad to a calmer, somewhat more mature mid-twenties yuppie. The apartment saw countless evenings of laughter with friends, Grey’s Anatomy binge-watching fests with my dog, early morning workouts, too many cockroach-induced screams, and even a few tears here and there from my bad taste in men and some stressful days (nights) of work. In my little Buckhead Bungalow, later to be nicknamed my Summer Cottage, I bought all of my furniture with my own grown-up money; I joined ClassPass; I fell in love.
I remember sitting on my couch – I love my couch – waiting for Timmer to pick me up for our first date. I remember calling my friends and having them feed me compliments to boost my ego and calm my nerves, but I also remember telling them that this was going to be pointless because there was no way there was going to be a second date because I just didn’t feel like dating anymore and I was moving to Dallas the next summer. Fast forward 3 hours later and I remember sitting on my couch, thinking to myself “hmm what if that was my last first date ever?”
That little apartment saw me grow so much in those 2.5 years and it will always have a special place in my heart ❤
Fall in Georgia only lasted about a week and a half, and then it immediately became super cold (or maybe I’m just a baby when it comes to cold weather). But nonetheless I loved every minute of Georgia fall – the changing leaves, the perfect temperatures, the new outfits, the food. I guess during the day when I’m sitting inside at work, it probably still feels like fall outside, but when I leave for work in the mornings, and by the time I get home from work at night, it is very very cold. So, I was feeling crafty and decided to arm knit my own blanket. I saw a picture of an arm-kitted blanket on pinterest last year, and so I finally decided it was time to try it out myself. I bought six rolls of Loops & Threads Chunky Grande yarn in cream from Michaels, watched a YouTube video on arm knitting blankets, and turned on Gilmore Girls. I’ve arm knitted scarves before, so it was pretty easy for me to get the hang of it – and I was loving how it was turning out! …until I ran out of yarn. I transferred the yarn that was on my arm onto one of my boyfriend’s golf clubs and made an emergency trip to Michaels, only to find out that they were completely sold out of the yarn in store and online, so TBD one when the blanket is ever finished. But, I really love how it looks and feels so far, so if you ever need an easy fun and useful craft, this DIY is a great one!
Twenty-six. I just turned twenty-six. That doesn’t really make me old, but it makes me old enough to not really fit in with the ‘young and dumb’ crew. I think I’m going to need to start making better skin decisions — more sunscreen to prevent aging, investing in better moisturizer, etc. I should probably start eating healthier too…nah who am I kidding. Twenty-six is going to be a great year. I already have a lot of great things going on in my life: supportive family, great friends, amazing coworkers, perfect dog, and a wonderful boyfriend. Obviously my life is far from perfect, but I do have a lot of things to be thankful for.
I’m creating this blog as a reminder for me to continue doing what I love: I love love love anything related to food – going out to eat, trying new recipes, cooking for friends. Luckily, I’m dating another avid foodie, so we frequently cook great meals. The ‘Food’ tab will document our favorite recipes.
I also love decorating/designing space around my tiny Buckhead Bungalow. I found my little apartment on Craigslist. It’s kind of like a duplex; it’s a house divided into four apartments. My place has half of the main floor. It’s really cute and cozy, but the set up is more of a studio style as there are no doors inside, and you have to go through the bedroom in order to get to the kitchen from the living room. Non-the-less, I’ve created the tiny space to make it perfect for me. Additionally, I love DIY projects, such as arm-knitting, and turning simple things (like a normal boring bulletin board) into something much prettier. The ‘DIY & Design’ tab will be all about decor and DIY projects.
And then I’ll have the blog, to write down whatever happens to come to mind. I’ll still have my travel blog – Travels and Trouvailles – which documents a few of my favorite things of each of the places I’ve traveled, as well as some of my favorite things to do around Atlanta.